Hot and Sour Soup
Hot and Sour Soup (Suan La Tang) A specialty revered in various Asian countries, this soup stands out as a full meal due to its rich ingredients like chicken, eggs, soy noodles, and mushrooms. If exotic soup recipes tickle your fancy, this one will surely captivate your taste buds. Here on this website, we guide you through every step.
The Hot and Sour Soup
Its versatility is one of its prime features. With multiple versions found in Chinese, Indian, and Japanese cuisines, each region adds its own unique ingredients, ranging from pork pieces to an array of vegetables. The spiciness often derives from peppers (chilies or guindilla can be used), while the sourness comes from vinegar. Contrary to first impressions, this soup is a delight (especially if you're a fan of spicy) due to the rich interplay of textures and flavors.
Ingredients for Hot and Sour Soup for 4 people
- Chicken broth - 1 liter
- Firm tofu – 60g
- Dried shiitake mushrooms - 60g
- White vinegar – 60ml
- Soy sauce – 2 tablespoons
- Grated ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Guindilla (chili pepper) – 2
- Garlic cloves – 2
- Egg – 1
- Cornstarch - 2 teaspoons
- Soybean sprouts – 3 tablespoons
- Bamboo shoots – 40g
- Chicken breast – 100g
- Cilantro – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar - 2 teaspoons
- Sunflower oil – 1 teaspoon
How to make the recipe Hot and Sour Soup
- Start by soaking the mushrooms in a container filled with water.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, and vinegar.
- In a pot or wok, sauté the chicken breast with a teaspoon of oil for just a couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic, guindilla, grated ginger, sugar, and tofu. Continue sautéing for two more minutes
- Pour in the chicken broth, followed by the soybean sprouts, drained mushrooms, and bamboo. Let it simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Midway through the cooking (around the 5-minute mark), add the sliced chicken and the initially prepared cornstarch mixture. Beat the egg and gradually introduce it to the soup, drizzling it in to form delicate strands.
Notes and Tips
Should you opt to incorporate soy noodles, ensure to blanch them in boiling water for a few seconds. Then, add them to the soup during the fifth step along with the cornstarch mixture. Did you find the recipe appealing?