An easy, economical and very tasty homemade dish: chicken gizzards. This part of poultry belongs to 'offal', animal by-products that were widely used in cooking before. Today, they still feature in various dishes but have lost prominence to other cuts of meat. If you enjoy classic chicken recipes, on this website we explain how to prepare chicken gizzards with sauce.
Calories and nutrients of chicken gizzards
Chicken gizzards refer to a muscle used for digesting food. It is located in the chicken's stomach, where they store small stones to help crush food grains. Being considered offal or viscera parts, this affects its price. A kilogram of gizzards is around 2.80 euros. They can be prepared in multiple ways, fried, sautéed, with sauce, or added to stews.
They provide about 95 calories per serving and 18 grams of protein, they also contain 2.5 g of iron and 11 milligrams of calcium. Their fat content is approximately 2.9 grams per serving. Being an animal-based food, it contains vitamins from the B group. If you are on a diet to lower cholesterol, you should only eat chicken gizzards occasionally, as they are high in this substance.
Ingredients for Chicken Gizzards for 4 people
- Chicken gizzards - 1 kilogram
- Fried tomato - 150 ml
- Garlic cloves - 4 units
- Dried chilli - ½ unit
- White wine - 200 ml
- Extra virgin olive oil - 85 ml
- Salt - to taste
- Chicken broth - 100 ml
- Chopped parsley - 1 tablespoon
- Bay leaf - 1 unit
How to make the recipe Chicken Gizzards
- Cut the chilli into pieces, prepare a pan with oil and when it is hot add the chilli. Let it brown for a minute.
- Meanwhile, cut the garlic cloves finely. Add the gizzards to the pan along with the chopped garlic. Let it brown for a minute or a bit longer with care not to burn
- Add the fried tomato and let it cook for three minutes on low heat. Then add the white wine, a little salt, and the bay leaf.
- Cook on low heat for 35 minutes. Halfway through cooking if you notice it is getting dry, add some chicken broth.
Notes and Tips
This recipe allows for many variations, for example a stir-fry with onion and zucchini, add mushrooms and aromatic herbs. Did you like this recipe?