Try this homemade coffee flan and enjoy its dense and velvety texture! It's a very simple dessert ideal for coffee lovers. If you like homemade dessert recipes, this flan deserves to be in your repertoire. On this website, we'll guide you through the steps.
Coffee, a source of antioxidants
It is present in our lives, and for many, it is essential daily to clear their minds. There is a lot of literature about coffee, its beneficial effects, and its disadvantages. In general, moderate coffee consumption provides benefits; the problem is excessive consumption. Among the benefits, it provides a large number of antioxidants, such as hydroxycinnamic acids and polyphenols. Drinking coffee moderately is associated with a lower risk of many diseases. For example, coffee drinkers have a 25-30% lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Moderate coffee consumption is also related to a lower risk of developing Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease, with percentages between 32-65%.
How to prepare coffee flan for 4 people
- Coffee at room temperature – 150 ml
- Milk – 350 ml
- Sugar – 100 g
- Eggs – 5 units
For the caramel
- 150 g of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
How to make the recipe Coffee Flan
- To prepare the caramel in a saucepan, add the sugar without water. Set it over low heat and stir with a wooden spoon. Gradually, the sugar will melt. When the caramel turns wheat color (do not let it darken, as it will become bitter).
- Add a tablespoon of water, stir and add another until you incorporate the rest of the water and lemon juice. Pour the caramel into the flan mold where we will later make the flan.
- Preheat the oven to 248 °F.
- In a saucepan, add the milk and coffee and mix.
- Beat the eggs with a whisk and incorporate a tablespoon of sugar. Continue beating and add another tablespoon until all the sugar is added. Mix the eggs with the milk and coffee, beat for a few seconds, and pour into the mold where we have the caramel.
- To set the flan, we will use the 'bain-marie' technique. It is very easy but requires 2 things: low oven temperature and patience. Place a baking tray or ovenproof dish larger than the flan mold. Fill the tray with water and place it in the oven. Place the flan mold in the center of the ovenproof dish. The water should reach only halfway up the flan.
- Cover the flan with aluminum foil to prevent it from forming a crust.
- Bake for an hour at 248°F. After this time, turn off the oven and let it settle for five minutes. Remove the coffee flan from the oven and let it cool down. Once it's cool enough, refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
Notes and Tips
This same recipe can be used to create a delicious cappuccino flan or a café au lait flan. Just replace the 150 ml of coffee with cappuccino or café au lait.
- Peruvian Green Noodles - 08/06/2023
- Cuttlefish Stew with Potatoes - 08/06/2023
- Stewed Chickpeas - 08/06/2023
What to eat today? Search by ingredient or recipes