Grilled meat can be a real treat if you know tricks to make the most of this cooking method. We cook it without sauce but with a prior marinade that helps keep the meat's moisture, so it is juicy when cut. If you like to vary your meat recipes, on this website, we will tell you how to prepare this recipe as basic as it is delicious.
Domestication of fire and grilling
1.00.000 years ago, men began to roast food. Charred animal bone remains were found in the Wonderwerk cave in South Africa. Centuries later, the Greeks were experts in grilling food. Archaeologist Julie Hruby from Dartmouth College found in her research ancient souvlaki trays and plates used in the Mycenaean era from 1600 to 1200 BC.
Affterwards, all cultures have grilled meat using different methods, on metal grills over fire, using kebab-style skewers, or other tools. On the grill, we can cook different ingredients without hardly adding fat, many like meats cook in their own fat, making it a healthy alternative for cooking.
Ingredients for Grilled Meat for 4 people
- Veal or beef steaks - 800 g
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - ¼ teaspoon
- Garlic cloves - 2 units
- Extra virgin olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- Rosemary sprigs - 3 sprigs
- Beer - 100 ml
How to make the recipe Grilled Meat
- If the steaks are thick or slightly thick (1 inch or more), we are going to wrap the meat in cling film. Then we pound it with the mortar's hand (or a meat mallet). This process softens the muscle fibers, and the steak will be more tender. If the meat is thick and not very tender, it is difficult to eat; this way, our grilled meat will be extra tender.
- In a Zip-type freezer bag, add the meat and then the ingredients for the marinade. Let them rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes or half an hour.
- Ten minutes before the end of resting, light the grill or griddle over low heat. Grill the steaks; there is no need to add oil as they are already impregnated with the dressing, but if you want, you can add half a teaspoon of oil (or butter, it's a matter of taste).
- The cooking time of the meat depends on its thickness and personal taste. If you like rare meat, it would be about 1.5 minutes per side (if it is 1 inch thick, the thicker the longer the time). If you prefer medium meat, it would be 2.5 minutes, for well-done meats, we go to about 3.5 minutes per side.
- Leave the meat the recommended time according to your preferences, do not prick the meat to turn it over, use a spatula.
- Once cooked, let it settle for about five minutes before serving; it will be more flavorful.
Notes and Tips
Try to let the meat settle a bit before cooking it and also afterward so it releases its juices.
- Peruvian Green Noodles - 08/06/2023
- Cuttlefish Stew with Potatoes - 08/06/2023
- Stewed Chickpeas - 08/06/2023
What to eat today? Search by ingredient or recipes