Have you ever tried the vibrant and refreshing taste of a good Peruvian Ceviche? This dish is one of the most emblematic of Peruvian gastronomic culture and has been a favorite of lovers of fresh and spicy food for centuries. With pre-Columbian roots, Peruvian ceviche has become a symbol of the country's culinary identity and is appreciated by both locals and travelers visiting Peru.
However, preparing a perfect ceviche requires some specific knowledge and skills. It is important to consider the quality of the fresh fish and ensure that it is well cut and marinated. Stay till the end of this post to learn all the tricks to perfect your ceviche.
If you're ready to dive into the world of Peruvian ceviche and prepare a dish that delights your senses, keep reading! With our step-by-step recipe and necessary tips, you'll be able to prepare a Peruvian ceviche worthy of being called a culinary masterpiece.
Ingredients for Peruvian Ceviche for 2 people
- 500 grams of fresh fish fillet. You can use any type of white fish
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of fresh lemon. Approximately 3 or 4 lemons
- 1/2 cup of lime juice. Approximately 2 or 3 limes
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro
- 1 chopped yellow pepper. You can also use chilies or hot peppers. If you don't like spicy, you can leave this out.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ripe tomatoes chopped into small cubes
- Cooked corn
- 1/2 cooked potato or sweet potato.
How to make the recipe Peruvian Ceviche
- Cut the fish into small cubes and place it in a large bowl.
- Add the salt and mix well. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the lemon and lime and add the juice mix to the fish.
- Add the onion, cilantro, pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl and leave it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until the fish is marinated properly.
- Add as accompaniments the tomatoes, corn, and cooked potato or sweet potato. Or any other accompaniment you like.
Notes and Tips
Fresh Fish: Make sure to use good quality fresh fish for the best taste and texture. White fish is most commonly used, but you can also use other types of fish like grouper or corvina.
Juice Mix: Use a combination of fresh lemon and lime for the juice mix. If you prefer a stronger flavor, add more lime juice, and if you prefer a softer flavor, add more lemon juice.
Marinating: Let it settle for at least 30 minutes or until the fish is well marinated. Be sure to cover the bowl and leave it in the fridge.
Balance of Flavors: Play with the flavors of the onion, cilantro, pepper, and tomatoes to find the perfect combination that suits your tastes. If you don't like the spiciness of the pepper, you can omit it or use a smaller amount.
Refrigeration: Be sure to keep the ceviche fresh and chilled in the fridge until the time of serving.