Sautéed Chicken Livers with Onions
You'll spend very little time preparing these sautéed chicken livers with onions! A protein and iron-rich recipe as simple as it is tasty. Onion liver is a traditional recipe in Catalonia, as well as in Germany and the United Kingdom, but in these cases, beef or pork liver is often used.
Chicken liver has a similar percentage of calories and fats to pork liver, 136 calories, and 4.7 grams of fat. Decades ago, the most popular meat recipes included liver, kidneys, or blood, as offal products were cheaper than steaks or other cuts of meat. Today, liver, snout, or tripe are highly valued ingredients in traditional recipes. On this website, we'll show you how to prepare these sautéed chicken livers with onions.
Calories and Nutrients in Chicken Liver
Chicken liver is known for its protein, iron, and vitamin B12 content. It has 136 calories per 100-gram serving and is so nutrient-rich that it is recommended for people with iron-deficiency anemia. It has 7.4 grams of iron, 22 grams of protein, and 4.5 grams of fat. Among the minerals, in addition to iron, it is rich in calcium with 18 mg, potassium with 218 mg, magnesium with 13 milligrams, and phosphorus with 240 milligrams.
Ingredients for Sautéed Chicken Livers with Onions for 4 people
- Chicken liver - 600 g
- Onion - 1 ½ unit
- Garlic cloves - 2 units
- White wine - 150 ml
- Bay leaf - 1 leaf
- Parsley - 1 tablespoon
- Pepper - a pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil - 60 ml
How to make the recipe Sautéed Chicken Livers with Onions
- Cut the onion into julienne strips and chop the garlic, cut the chicken liver fillets into pieces. Add extra virgin olive oil to a pan and when it is hot, sauté the garlic and onion for two minutes.
- Next, add the liver seasoned with salt, pepper, and the bay leaf. Brown the liver on both sides and, when it is to our liking, add the white wine. This ingredient will give a delicious flavor to the recipe.
- Cook over low heat until the liquid reduces, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and adjust salt and pepper if necessary. Serve sprinkled with a little chopped parsley.
Notes and Tips
Want an even more aromatic recipe? Add 100 ml of brandy and 50 ml of chicken broth instead of the white wine in the recipe. It's exquisite!
- Peruvian Green Noodles - 08/06/2023
- Cuttlefish Stew with Potatoes - 08/06/2023
- Stewed Chickpeas - 08/06/2023
What to eat today? Search by ingredient or recipes